FAQ - Complaints

Question: Do I have to be the patient in order to file a complaint?

Answer: Anyone who has knowledge of a licensee’s unprofessional conduct may file a complaint.

Question: I don’t want to wait to fill out the complaint form. Can’t I just tell you over the phone or e-mail you? Can I fax the complaint form?

Answer: All complaints must be in writing and preferably on our complaint form. Please mail the complaint form to the Board so that it includes the original signature pages to the following address:

Kansas State Board of Healing Arts
Attn: Complaint Coordinator
800 SW Jackson, Lower Level-Suite A
Topeka, KS 66612

Question: Can’t the Board just call the licensee and tell them they are wrong or tell them how to treat the patient?

Answer: The Board does not represent individuals and only has authority concerning the licensing of the licensee. You may complete the complaint form and send it to the Board so that the Board has all of the information necessary to review the complaint. All complaints must be in writing and preferably on our complaint form.

Question: Is there a time limit to file a complaint?

Answer: There is no statutory time limit in which to file a complaint with the Board. It is best to report as soon as possible so the records can be obtained and potential witnesses can be located. It is a good idea to make a written note of the circumstances soon after the experience so facts are not forgotten. When submitting a complaint, be as specific as you can with the facts and dates. You have the right to contact a private attorney if you want to file a lawsuit against a licensee. The Board cannot give legal advice.

Question: Can I file a complaint against a licensee anonymously?

Answer: Every complaint received by the Board is reviewed, even anonymous complaints. Complaints that do not include the name of the person involved are very difficult to investigate. You cannot check the status of a complaint that you anonymously file with the Board.

Question: I need my medical records and the licensee is refusing to release my records. What can I do about this?

Answer: Generally, a licensee must provide you a copy of your records within 30 days of your request, regardless of whether you owe an outstanding bill. However, a licensee may require that you provide written request and sign a release to obtain a copy of your records. A licensee can require pre-payment for the costs of copying your records if you are requesting that a copy of your records be sent to yourself. If you request that the records be sent to another licensee, pre-payment cannot be required. However, you are still responsible for the costs associated with copying your records. Keep in mind that licensees are only required to maintain a patient’s records for 10 years past the patient’s last visit.