FAQ - CNM-I Licensing

Question: How do I become licensed as an Independent Certified Nurse-Midwife in Kansas?

Answer: You may apply online for initial licensure in Kansas. You will be required to complete forms, answer attestation questions, submit information, and pay the fee(s). After you submit your initial application, and payment has processed, a licensing analyst will be assigned to your application. The analyst will track your documents as they arrive in our office, and work with you to request any additional information needed to process your application. When your application is complete, it will be sent for a final review. If your application is approved, you will be issued your license, our agency webpage will be updated, and a wall certificate will be mailed.

Question: What are the fees for the initial application?

Answer: $100 for the initial application; $47 for the criminal background check; $3 for the National Practitioner Data Bank (“NPDB”) report.

Question: How do I pay the fees?

Answer: We accept checks, money orders, Debit, Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express. To pay with your debit or credit card, please use the Credit/Debit Card Payment Authorization Form.

Question: How long does the application process take?

Answer: The application process takes on average four to eight weeks; however, each application is different. Please keep in mind that information required for licensure comes from the applicant and various outside organizations. This takes time. Therefore, it is important to submit your application early!

Question: When do I receive my wallet card?

Answer: Wallet cards are emailed after the license has been issued.

Question: When does my license expire and cancel?

Answer: Licenses issued between January 1 – May 31, expire September 30 and cancel on October 31 of that same year, unless renewed. Licenses issued between June 1 – December 31 expire September 30 and cancel October 31 the following year, unless renewed.

Question: When do I renew my license?

Answer: August 15 – September 30 (October 1 - 31 for late renewals).

Question: How do I renew my license?

Answer: You may renew online, or by paper (on request). We strongly encourage all renewals to be completed online. The renewal link will be available annually on our website, from August 15 – September 30 (and October 1 – October 31 for late renewals).

Question: How do I renew online?

Answer: To renew online you will need to have available your Kansas State Board of Healing Arts license number, birth date, last 4 numbers of your social security number, name, license number of all health care professionals that supervise you (if required), continuing education CEU hours (if required) and payment information.

Question: What are the renewal fees?

Answer: Online: $50; Late Online: $75; Paper: $75; Late Paper: $125.

Question: I did not renew by the deadline of September 30. What do I do?

Answer: We accept online and paper renewals until October 31. You will be assessed a late fee.

Question: I did not renew by October 31. What happens?

Answer: On November 1, your license status is Cancelled – Failure to Renew. You cannot practice Independent Certified Nurse Midwifery until you reinstate your license to Active. Practicing after your license is cancelled may subject you to disciplinary action.

Question: My license status is Cancelled – Failure to Renew. How do I reinstate my license?

Answer: You will need to complete the reinstatement application and pay the associated fee(s).

Question: Am I required to have professional liability insurance (malpractice insurance)?

Answer: Yes, through the requirement you are a licensed Advanced Practice Registered Nurse in the classification of a certified nurse-midwife. See K.S.A. 65-28b03(a)(5-6); K.S.A. 40-3402(a); K.S.A. 40-3401(f).

Question: I recently moved. How do I change my address with the Board?

Answer: Complete the Address Change Form and email it to KSBHA_Licensing@ks.gov. You may also mail it to our office.

Question: I changed my name. How do I change my name with the Board?

Answer: Complete the Change of Name Form and email it to KSBHA_Licensing.gov. You may also mail it to our office. To obtain a certificate with your new name, complete the Request for Additional Certificates Form, and pay the fee.