FAQ - Institutional Licensing

Question: How do I become licensed in Kansas?

Answer: You will be required to complete the application, additional forms, answer attestation questions, submit information, and pay the fee(s). After you submit your initial application, and payment has processed, a licensing analyst will be assigned to your application. The analyst will track your documents as they arrive in our office, and work with you to request any additional information needed to process your application. Once your application is complete, it will be sent for a final review. Once your application is approved, you will be issued your license, our agency webpage will be updated, and a wall certificate will be mailed.

Question: Where am I allowed to work with an Institutional license?

Answer: KSA 65-2895(c) provides three options. Review that statute for specifics. Refer to the Institutional License Changes document for a summary.

Question: How can I pay my fees?

Answer: We accept checks, money orders, Debit, Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express. To charge to your debit or credit card, please use the authorization form.

Question: How long does the application process take?

Answer: It is important for you to understand that the process takes an average of 4 to 8 weeks. Information is not only coming from you but also various organization and other sources that require time to process your request and provide the needed verifications.

Question: When does my license expire?

Answer: All Institutional Licenses expire 2 years from the date issued.

Question: When do I renew my License?

Answer: You should be notified in writing approximately 1 month prior to your license expiration date.

Question: How do I renew my license?

Answer: You must renew by the renewal form mailed to you. You will need to include continuing education (CEU) hours, proof of malpractice insurance coverage and the certificate of employment.

Question: Can I renew online?

Answer: At this time, we are unable to accept your renewal through our online process.

Question: What are the renewal fees?

Answer: $150.00

Question: I did not renew by the deadline, what do I do now?

Answer: We will accept your renewal form up to 30 days past your expiration date. Your license will be cancelled 30 days after your expiration date. Once your license has been cancelled you may not practice in Kansas until the Board reinstates the license. Practicing after your license has been cancelled is unlawful and will subject you to disciplinary action.

Question: My Kansas license is cancelled, how do I reinstate my license?

Answer: To begin the process you will request or download a reinstatement packet. You will be asked to complete forms and collect information. You will mail in your application and $150 fee, and submit $3.00 for a NPDB Report. You will be assigned an application analyst that will track your documents as they arrive in our office. After all of your paper work has been received, your file will be sent to review. This review might result in a request for additional information or clarification of provided information. Once the necessary materials have been received, and your request for reinstatement is approved, you will be notified in writing of your permanent license number.

Question: How much and what type of CEU is required?

Answer: A minimum of 100 hours with proof of at least 40 Category 1 hours over the past two (2) years is required.

  • Category I continuing education shall mean a continuing education activity that is presented by a person qualified by practical or academic experience, using any of the following methods: lecture, panel discussion, workshop, seminar, symposium, or any other structured, interactive, and formal learning method that the board deems to meet the requirements of subsection.Practice Handbook ref. section 100-15-4.
  • Category II continuing education shall mean attendance at a lecture, panel discussion, workshop, seminar, symposium, college course, professional publication, in-service training, or professional activity that the board determines does not meet the requirements of category I, but that is in a health-related field indirectly related to healing arts skill and knowledge. Category II continuing education shall include the following: Clinical consultations with other healing arts Practitioners that contribute to a Practitioner’s education, participation in activities to review the quality of patient care, instructing healing arts and other health care Practitioners, patient-centered discussions with other health care Practitioners, participating in journal clubs, using searchable electronic databases in connection with patient care activities; and using self-instructional materials. Practice Handbook ref. section 100-15-4.

Question: Am I required to have professional liability insurance (malpractice insurance)?

Answer: All new policies and policies that renew on and after January 1, 2022, K.S.A. 40-3402 requires MD, DO, DC, DPM and PAs with an active license in Kansas to maintain professional liability insurance of not less than $500,000 per claim, and not less than $1,500,000 annual aggregate for all claims made during the policy period. These professions are also required to maintain compliance with the Kansas Health Care Stabilization Fund (KHCSF). K.S.A. 40-3404; K.S.A. 65-2809(c); K.S.A. 65-2005(d); K.S.A. 65-28a03(b). For questions relating to how to comply with Fund requirements, please contact (785) 291-3777 or email HCSF@ks.gov.

Question: I have recently moved, how do I change my address?

Answer: Please download and complete the address change form and fax or mail to our office.

Question: I have recently changed my name. How do I have this corrected?

Answer: Please download and complete the change of name form to correct the name. To obtain a certificate in your new name download and complete the request for additional certificates form along with a fee of $15. Please fax or mail in the completed forms to our office along with your payment.

Question: I have recently changed institutions where I work, how do I have this corrected?

Answer: Please download and have your new employer complete the certificate of employment and mail it to our office.