FAQ - L.Ac. Licensing

Question: How do I become a licensed Acupuncturist in Kansas?

Answer: You will be required to complete the application, additional forms, answer attestation questions, submit information, and pay the fee(s). After you submit your initial application, and payment has processed, a licensing analyst will be assigned to your application. The analyst will track your documents as they arrive in our office, and work with you to request any additional information needed to process your application. Once your application is complete, it will be sent for a final review. Once your application is approved, you will be issued your license, our agency webpage will be updated, and a wall certificate will be mailed.

Question: What types of licenses are there for Acupuncturists in Kansas?

Answer: Active, Inactive, and Exempt. K.S.A. 65-7609.

Question: What are the fees for a L.Ac. initial application?

Answer: $165 for the initial application; $3 for National Practitioner Data Bank (“NPDB”) report.

Question: How do I pay the fees?

Answer: We accept checks, money orders, Debit, Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express. To pay with your debit or credit card, please use the Credit/Debit Card Payment Authorization Form.

Question: How long does the application process take?

Answer: The application process takes on average four to eight weeks; however, each application is different. Please keep in mind that information required for licensure comes from the applicant and from various outside organizations. This takes time. Therefore, it is important to submit your application early!

Question: When do I receive my wallet card?

Answer: Wallet cards are emailed after the license has been issued.

Question: When does my license expire?

Answer: All acupuncturist licenses expire on March 31; the license must be renewed annually.

Question: When do I renew my license?

Answer: The renewal period for acupuncturists begins January 15 and ends March 31 each calendar year.

Question: How do I renew my license?

Answer: You may renew online, or by paper (on request). We strongly encourage all renewals to be completed online.

Question: How do I renew online?

Answer: To renew online you will need to have your Kansas Board of Healing Arts license number, birth date, last 4 numbers of your social security number, name, license number of all health care professionals that supervise you (if required), continuing education CEU hours (if required), and payment information. Follow this link to our renewal site. The renewal application will be available annually, beginning on January 15.

Question: What are the renewal fees?

Answer: Active – Online: $125; Late Online: $150; Paper: $150; Late Paper: $200. Exempt/Inactive – Online: $100; Late Online: $125; Paper: $125; Late Paper: $175.

Question: I did not renew by the deadline of February 28, what do I do now?

Answer: We accept online and paper renewals until March 31. You will be assessed a late fee.

Question: I did not renew by March 31. What happens?

Answer: On April 1, your license status is Cancelled – Failure to Renew. You cannot practice in Kansas as an acupuncturist until you reinstate your license. Practicing after your license is cancelled may subject you to disciplinary action.

Question: How do I change my license type?

Answer: To change your license type at the time of renewal, simply change the license status type on the renewal form. If you are wanting to change your license type outside of the renewal period, complete the Designation/Type Change Form. Documentation of continuing education hours and additional fees may be required, depending on the license type.

Question: Am I required to have professional liability insurance (malpractice insurance)?

Answer: Each person with an Active acupuncturist license in Kansas is required to have professional liability insurance coverage for which the limit of the insurer's liability is at least $200,000 per claim, subject to an annual aggregate of at least $600,000 for all claims made during the period of coverage. K.A.R. 100-76-5.

Question: I recently moved. How do I change my address with the Board?

Answer: Complete the Address Change Form and email it to KSBHA_Licensing@ks.gov. You may also mail it to our office.

Question: I changed my name. How do I change my name with the Board?

Answer: Complete the Change of Name Form and email it to KSBHA_Licensing@ks.gov. You may also mail it to our office. To obtain a certificate with your new name, complete the Request for Additional Certificates Form, and pay the $15 fee.