FAQ - OT Licensing

Question: How do I become a licensed Occupational Therapist in Kansas?

Answer: You will be required to complete the application, additional forms, answer attestation questions, submit information, and pay the fee(s). After you submit your initial application, and payment has processed, a licensing analyst will be assigned to your application. The analyst will track your documents as they arrive in our office, and work with you to request any additional information needed to process your application. Once your application is complete, it will be sent for a final review. Once your application is approved, you will be issued your license, our agency webpage will be updated, and a wall certificate will be mailed.

Question: How can I pay my fees?

Answer: We accept checks, money orders, Debit, Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express. To charge to your debit or credit card, please use the authorization form.

Question: How long does the application process take?

Answer: It is important for you to understand that the process takes an average of 4 to 8 weeks. Information is not only coming from you but also various organization and other sources that require time to process your request and provide the needed verifications.

Question: What is required from NBCOT?

Answer: The verification of certification is required from NBCOT for licensing.

Question: Can I apply for a temporary license?

Answer: It may be possible for one (1) temporary permit to be issued for those with a complete application except for testing scores. A temporary permit grants you all of the privileges and responsibilities of a permanent license. The temporary permit is issued for a twelve (12) month period starting from the date your application is approved. You must request the temporary licenses and there is an additional $25 fee.

Question: When does my license expire?

Answer: All Occupational Therapists licenses expire on March 31; the license must be renewed each year.

Question: When do I renew my License?

Answer: The renewal period begins February 15; and ends April 30.

Question: How do I renew my license?

Answer: You may renew online, or contact our office to have a renewal form mailed to you. These links/forms will be available annually beginning February 15th-March 31st (and April 1st through April 30th for late renewals) of each year.

Question: How do I renew online?

Answer: To renew online you will need to have available your Kansas Board of Healing Arts license number, birth date, last 4 numbers of your social security number, name, license number of all health care professionals that supervise you (if required), continuing education CEU hours (if required) and payment information. Log in to our renewal site to fill out and submit your renewal. Renewal will be available annually beginning Febuary 15th-March 31st (and April 1st through April 30th for late renewals) of each year.

Question: What are the renewal fees?

Answer: $75.00

Question: I did not renew by the deadline of March 31, what do I do now?

Answer: We will accept online and form renewals until April 30. The fee for renewing late increase to $80.00.

Question: I did not renew by April 30, now what?

Answer: Your license will be cancelled on May 1. Once your license has been cancelled you may not practice in Kansas until the Board reinstates the license. Practicing after your license has been cancelled is unlawful and will subject you to disciplinary action.

Question: My Kansas license is cancelled, how do I reinstate my license?

Answer: To begin the process you will download a reinstatement form. You will be asked to complete forms and collect information, and submit $3.00 for a NPDB Report. You will be assigned an application analyst that will track your documents as they arrive in our office. After all of your paper work has been received, your file will be sent to review. This review might result in a request for additional information or clarification of provided information. Once the necessary materials have been received and approved, you will be notified in writing that your license has been reinstated.

Question: How much and what type of CEU is required?

Answer: Minimum of 40 hours of Continuing Education (CEU) for the preceding two (2) year period, reported during the odd-numbered years. No evidence of CEU is required during even-numbered years.

Question: Am I required to have professional liability insurance (malpractice insurance)?

Answer: K.A.R. 100-54-13 requires OTs licensed in Kansas to maintain professional liability insurance. Individual coverage of not less than $100,000 per claim, and not less than $300,000 for all claims made during the period of coverage; or coverage through the individual’s employer under an additional insured policy of not less than $1,000,000 per claim, and not less than $3,000,000 for all claims made during the period of coverage.

Question: I have recently moved, how do I change my address?

Answer: Please download and complete the address change form and fax or mail to our office.

Question: I have recently changed my name. How do I have this corrected?

Answer: Please download and complete the change of name form to correct the name. To obtain a certificate in your new name download and complete the request for additional certificates form along with a fee of $15. Please fax or mail in the completed forms to our office along with your payment.

Question: When do I get my wallet card?

Answer: Wallet cards are not issued until licensee’s first renewal cycle.