FAQ - PT Licensing

Question: How do I become a licensed Physical Therapist in Kansas?

Answer: You will be required to complete the application, additional forms, answer attestation questions, submit information, and pay the fee(s). After you submit your initial application, and payment has processed, a licensing analyst will be assigned to your application. The analyst will track your documents as they arrive in our office, and work with you to request any additional information needed to process your application. Once your application is complete, it will be sent for a final review. Once your application is approved, you will be issued your license, our agency webpage will be updated, and a wall certificate will be mailed.

Question: How can I pay my fees?

Answer: We accept checks, money orders, Debit, Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express. To charge to your debit or credit card, please use the authorization form.

Question: How long does the application process take?

Answer: It is important for you to understand that the process takes an average of 4 to 8 weeks. Information is not only coming from you but also various organization and other sources that require time to process your request and provide the needed verifications.

Question: Can I apply for a temporary license?

Answer: It may be possible for one (1) temporary permit to be issued for those with a complete application except for testing scores. A temporary permit grants you all of the privileges and responsibilities of a permanent license. The temporary permit is issued for a three (3) month period starting from the date your application is approved. You must request the temporary licenses and there is an additional $25 fee.

Question: When does my license expire?

Answer: All Physical Therapists licenses expire on December 31; the license must be renewed each year.

Question: When do I renew my License?

Answer: The renewal period begins November 15; and ends January 31.

Question: How do I renew my license?

Answer: You may renew online, or contact our office to have a renewal form mailed to you. , or contact our office to have a renewal form mailed to you. These links/forms will be available annually beginning November 15th-December 31st (and January 1st through January 31st for late renewals) of each year.

Question: How do I renew online?

Answer: To renew online you will need to have available your Kansas Board of Healing Arts license number, birth date, last 4 numbers of your social security number, name, license number of all health care professionals that supervise you (if required), continuing education CEU hours (if required) and payment information. Log in to our renewal site to fill out and submit your renewal. Renewal will be available annually beginning November 15th-December 31st (and January 1st through January 31st for late renewals) of each year.

Question: What are the renewal fees?

Answer: $70.00

Question: I did not renew by the deadline of December 31st, what do I do now?

Answer: We will accept online and form renewals until January 31. The fee for renewing late increase to $75.00.

Question: I did not renew by January 31st, now what?

Answer: Your license will be cancelled on February 1. Once your license has been cancelled you may not practice in Kansas until the Board reinstates the license. Practicing after your license has been cancelled is unlawful and will subject you to disciplinary action.

Question: My Kansas license is cancelled, how do I reinstate my license?

Answer: To begin the process you will download a reinstatement form. You will be asked to complete forms and collect information, and submit $3.00 for a NPDB Report. You will be assigned an application analyst that will track your documents as they arrive in our office. After all of your paper work has been received, your file will be sent to review. This review might result in a request for additional information or clarification of provided information. Once the necessary materials have been received and approved, you will be notified in writing that your license has been reinstated.

Question:How much and what type of CEU is required?

Answer: Minimum of 40 hours of Continuing Education (CEU) for the preceding two (2) year period, reported during the odd-numbered years.

Question: Am I required to have professional liability insurance (malpractice insurance)?

Answer: Kansas law requires all physical therapist practicing in the State of Kansas to maintain professional liability insurance of not less than $100,000 per claim subject to not less than $300,000 annual aggregate for all claims made during the policy period.

Question: I have recently moved, how do I change my address?

Answer: Please download and complete the address change form and fax or mail to our office.

Question: I have recently changed my name. How do I have this corrected?

Answer: Please download and complete the change of name form to correct the name. To obtain a certificate in your new name download and complete the request for additional certificates form along with a fee of $15. Please fax or mail in the completed forms to our office along with your payment.

Question: What are the various Licensure Types/Designations?


  • Active: A license authorizing an individual to practice their profession in the State of Kansas. A person with an active license in any profession must certify that they have met the continuing education requirements for that profession.  Physical Therapists holding an active license must also certify that they are maintaining professional liability insurance required by law at the time of renewal.
  • Inactive: A license issued to a person who does not engage in professional practice and who does not hold oneself out to the public as being engaged in the professional practice in the state of Kansas. An inactive license does not entitle the holder to engage in any practice in Kansas. Physical Therapists must meet continuing education requirements but are not required to maintain professional liability insurance.
  • Exempt: A license issued to a person who is not regularly engaged in the practice of the healing arts or podiatry in Kansas and who does not hold oneself out to the public as being professionally engaged in such practice. Each exempt license may be renewed annually. The holder of an exempt license is entitled to all the privileges of their branch of the healing arts and (1) may serve as a coroner or as a paid employee of a local health department as defined by K.S.A. 65-241; or (2) practice as a charitable health care provider for an indigent health care clinic as defined by K.S.A.75-6102. Additionally, the holder of an exempt license may perform administrative functions. The holder of an exempt license shall be required to submit evidence of satisfactory completion of a program of continuing education required by this section.
  • Federal Active: A license issued to only a person who meets all the requirements for a license to practice the healing arts in Kansas and who practiced that branch of the healing arts solely in the course of employment or active duty in the United States government or any of its departments, bureaus or agencies or who, in addition to such employment or assignment, provides professional services as a charitable health care provider as defined under K.S.A. 75-6102. Continuing education, expiration and renewal of a license shall be applicable to a federally active license. A person who practices under a federally active license shall not be deemed to be rendering professional service as a health care provider in this state and is not required to have policy of professional liability coverage in effect.

Question: How do I change my license type?

Answer: If you are requesting to change your license type during the renewal period you may complete the Designation/Type Change section on the renewal form. If you wish to change your license type outside of the renewal period please complete designation/type change form. Return the form by mail and enclose your current wallet card. Documentation of CEU, professional liability insurance and additional fees may be required depending on the license type.

Question: When do I get my wallet card?

Answer: Wallet cards are not issued until licensee’s first renewal cycle.

Question: How do I obtain jurisdiction approval to take the NPTE?

Answer: The Kansas State Board of Healing Arts is excited to launch the Alternate Approval Pathway (AAP) for the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE) candidates in Kansas. The AAP allows candidates who are graduates of CAPTE-accredited programs to be approved to sit for the NPTE by The Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT).

Effective January 3, 2022, candidates of a CAPTE-accredited program will register for the NPTE through the FSBPT website using the online system and selecting the state where they are seeking licensure. FSBPT then makes candidates eligible to sit for the NPTE provided that they meet all FSBPT eligibility requirements. If approved, an Authorization to Test (ATT) letter will be emailed to the candidate, which will explain how to schedule the examination with the Prometric testing centers. After the examination is completed, FSBPT reports candidate scores to their intended licensure state.

Information for Non-CAPTE graduates

Graduates of NON-CAPTE accredited programs are excluded from utilizing the AAP. For testing approval, candidates are required to provide a complete application, fees, and an official transcript with the final degree awarded. If special testing accommodations are needed, complete the PT/PTA Special Testing Accommodations Request Form and return directly to the Board. All items must be received and processed before you can be approved to sit for the exam.