FAQ - RT Licensing

Question: How do I become a licensed Respiratory Therapist in Kansas?

Answer: You will be required to complete the application, additional forms, answer attestation questions, submit information, and pay the fee(s). After you submit your initial application, and payment has processed, a licensing analyst will be assigned to your application. The analyst will track your documents as they arrive in our office, and work with you to request any additional information needed to process your application. Once your application is complete, it will be sent for a final review. Once your application is approved, you will be issued your license, our agency webpage will be updated, and a wall certificate will be mailed.

Question: What are the fees for an RT initial application?

Answer: $80 for the initial application; $3 for National Practitioner Data Bank (“NPDB”).

Question: How do I pay the fees?

Answer: We accept checks, money orders, Debit, Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express. To pay with your debit or credit card, please use the Credit/Debit Card Payment Authorization Form.

Question: Can I apply for a temporary permit?

Answer: An applicant who meets all the requirements for licensure, except the examination, is eligible for a temporary permit. Only one temporary permit may be issued to a person and expires six months after the date of issuance. To receive a temporary permit, you must apply for one, and there is an additional $25 nonrefundable fee.

Question: Can I apply for a special permit?

Answer: Special permits may be issued by the Board to a student enrolled in an approved school of respiratory therapy, who applies and pays the $15 fee. A special permit authorizes a student who is enrolled in an approved school of respiratory therapy to practice respiratory therapy under the supervision of a licensed respiratory therapist. The special permit expires 30 days after student graduates, or otherwise ceases to be enrolled in an approved school of respiratory therapy. K.S.A. 65-5508(c).

Question: When do I receive my wallet card?

Answer: Wallet cards are emailed after the license has been issued. Also, they are now available online. Please login to your portal to view or print a current copy of your wallet card.

Question: When does my license expire?

Answer: All Respiratory Therapist licenses expire on March 31; the license must be renewed annually.

Question: When do I renew my license?

Answer: The renewal period for Respiratory Therapists begins February 15 and ends April 30 each calendar year.

Question: How do I renew online?

Answer: To renew online you will need to have your Kansas Board of Healing Arts license number, birth date, last 4 numbers of your social security number, name, license number of all health care professionals that supervise you (if required), continuing education CEU hours (if required) and payment information. These forms/links will be available annually beginning February 15.

Question: What are the renewal fees?

Answer: Online: $72; Late Online: $77; Paper: $75; Late Paper: $80.

Question: I did not renew by March 31. What do I do?

Answer: We will accept online and paper renewals until April 30. You will be assessed a late fee.

Question: I did not renew by April 30. What happens?

Answer: On May 1, your license status is Cancelled – Failure to Renew. You cannot practice in Kansas as Respiratory Therapist, until you reinstate your license to Active. Practicing after your license is cancelled may subject you to disciplinary action.

Question: My license status is Cancelled – Failure to Renew. How do I reinstate my license?

Answer: You will need to complete the reinstatement application and pay the associated reinstatement fee(s). Depending on the circumstances, reinstatement may require additional testing, training, or education as the board deems necessary.

Question: Am I required to have professional liability insurance (malpractice insurance)?

Answer: No.

Question: I recently moved. How do I change my address with the Board?

Answer: Complete the Address Change Form and email it to KSBHA_Licensing@ks.gov. You may also mail it to our office.

Question: I changed my name. How do I change my name with the Board?

Answer: Complete the Change of Name Form and email it to KSBHA_Licensing@ks.gov. You may also mail it to our office. To obtain a certificate with your new name, complete the Request for Additional Certificates Form, and pay the $15 fee.